Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Abyss Stares Back

Raindrops Keep Falling...

It makes me uncomfortable to greet unknown persons on the Internet. But I love it when people talk to me on the streets. If you're not ready to interact, don't leave your bed. And never go out into the universe unprepared for a metaphysical discussion. For that matter, never go out into the universe without your towel. Or umbrella, if you don't feel like getting wet. Or balloon, if you don't feel like staying grounded. Sometimes the background of every story looks like a brick wall, faded and peeling, but still as hard as people's eyes can look, as their hearts can seem. When nothing fits, there are so many opportunities. I painted a shirt today. Yesterday, I made cookies. The day before that, at 11:11, I didn't know what to wish for. It was odd, a little frightening, and very Zen. But I have my answer: I want some rain, a basket for my bike, and a really good friend to go for walks with.

My name is Zoe. Some days it is hard to hold a conversation with me, because I talk like ^ that.

Filmmaking interests me because I love stories, and storytelling. I like writing, watching, filming, directing, editing, and critiquing films, but particularly filming and editing. I love the concept of putting together a story, and using bits and pieces of life--real, breathing, beating-heart life--to let that story come together. I have never put together a fictional film story, and I don't particularly like the idea of doing it--the main aspect of film that interests me is the immediate depiction of reality, of moments that were not expected and that will never happen again. However, I recognize the opportunities provided by fiction. In the past, I've worked on a documentary and a retrospective video, and I did a lot of filming for a personal project that was never finished. I really enjoyed putting together the documentary, which was a project for media class in 8th grade. Our documentary was about the New Yorker magazine (which I read obsessively), and we interviewed David Remnick (editor of the New Yorker) and took a lot of footage at the office. It was frankly exciting to put together pieces of reality in an informative way, that showed the history and influence of the New Yorker. Truth-telling is also something I am interested in, and telling the world (or at least our media class) about the New Yorker was powerful to me.

Over the year, I'd like to use this blog to explore cinematography. I am a wordy person (as you have undoubtedly realized; my English teachers despair of me) and I use writing to explain and understand what's going on inside my head. I want this blog to be a creative and reflective outlet. I would also like to use this blog as a way of developing my Change Project. My Change Project has to do with the global issue of deforestation, and it is therefore critical to get out news and statistics about deforestation. I can also use the blog to spread the word about my Project, and how it will strive to combat deforestation. Lastly, I'd like to use this blog as a way of letting my teachers know how I'm doing (academically. There will be no jars of hearts spilled on these very visible, very eternal pages).

It makes me equally uncomfortable to say goodbye to unknown persons on the Internet.
Therefore, I will not be saying goodbye or concluding this post in any way.

So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment